The Golovin Period
- 1816 – The Kherson Grenadier Regiment discovers the Borjomi mineral spring whilst camping in the Borjomi Valley.
- 1834 – The Georgian Grenadier Regiment replaces the Kherson Regiment. Dr. Amirov begins his investigations on the composition and properties of the water and sends the first samples to leading medical institutions in St. Petersburg and Moscow.
- 1841 – The Viceroy of the Caucasus brings his sick daughter to Borjomi for treatment and after her subsequent recovery names the springs ‘Yekaterininski’ and ‘Yevgenievski’ after his daughter and himself.
- 1842 – Dr. Amirov asks General Golovin to turn Borjomi into a resort and development of Borjomi as a tourist destination begins.
The Vorontsov Period
- 1846 – The new Viceroy of the South Caucasus, Mikhail Vorontsov, makes the Borjomi resort his summer residence. He builds houses, well-rooms, baths, parks, churches, hotels, bridges and roads, and establishes telephone and postal links with Tiflis (Tbilisi).
- 1850 – The first attempts are made to bottle and export Borjomi mineral water by the apothecary of the local military hospital, Zakharov. He fills 1,300 half litre bottles with water and delivers them for sale to Tiflis. Meanwhile, the Mineral Water Park is founded in Borjomi.
- 1862 – Mikhail Romanov is appointed as Viceroy of the South Caucasus. He also chooses Borjomi as his summer residence and continues the construction begun under Vorontsov. Borjomi becomes the Russian equivalent to its European mineral water counterparts, Karlsbad and Vichy.
- 1890 – The first bottling factory begins production in the Mineral Water Park.
- 1896 – The first glass factory opens. In time it will produce 10-12 million bottles annually.
- 1899 – Borjomi town’s first power station is built with the capacity of three thousand horsepower in order to supply the Borjomi Valley and its three neighbouring regions with electricity.
- 1900 – The chemist F. Moldsnhauer, who developed a method for preserving the physical and chemical properties in bottled water, arrives in Borjomi. His methods are introduced to make export of Borjomi mineral water possible.
- 1904 – The “Borjomi” bottling process is mechanised.
- 1905 – “Borjomi” exports reach 320,000 bottles with improvements to its production process.
- 1907 – “Borjomi” is awarded a diploma in Spa City, Belgium.
- 1909 – “Borjomi” is awarded with a gold medal in Kazan, Russia.
- 1911 – “Borjomi” receives an honorary diploma in Dresden, Germany.
- 1921 – Borjomi town is granted the status of city.
The Soviet Period
- 1953 – A modernised bottling factory No. 1 is constructed beside the original one built by Mikhail Romanov.
- 1961 – “Borjomi” exports 423,000 bottles of mineral water to 15 countries worldwide.
- 1969 – Bottling factory No. 2 is constructed.
- 1980 – 1990 – “Borjomi” sales peak at 400 million bottles per annum.
- 1995 – A new era begins for “Borjomi” as foreign investments flow into the business.
- 1997 – Bottling factories No.1 and No. 2 are modernised. The company acquires and improves Khashuri glass factory, which is located 30km from Borjomi.
- 1998 – Factory No. 2 begins production of “Borjomi” in PET bottles.
- 1999 – Factory No. 2 begins production of still mineral water “Borjomi Springs”.
- 2002 – Factory No. 2 launches <<Bakuriani>> still mineral water in 5l bottles; 6l bottles in 2008.
- 2004 – The second stage of modernisation begins at “Borjomi” factories. New European bottle lines are installed and factory buildings and warehouses are reconstructed.
- 2005 – Production of “Borjomi” reaches 200 million bottles.
- 2007 – Bureau Veritas, the famous international certification company audits the bottling factories. “Borjomi” earns the International Certificate of Production Safety and Quality, ISO 22000.
History of Borjomi: